Skip to main content

Opening up a new world

I finally have something besides cross stitch to show! But first - the cross stitch!




As you can see I am coming close to completing it now. I really want to finish it, because this is my first task/reward item, and I have already chosen my reward. I'm not rushing it though, as that is when things go wrong.

I have been toying with an idea of a canvas project since getting the first craft box a month ago, when I saw the globe postcards, so I decided to make it this week. The first background I did went wrong, so I started again, and ended up with this. Unfortunately I have not got the hang of using sprays yet, at least not when it comes to backgrounds.

I started off by getting an old piece of card, that was originally from a Christmas stash, and used a script stencil with texture paste, sprinkling embossing powder on it and using a heat tool to dry. Once that was done I started laying things out. I covered a snip art piece with black gesso and wax for the background, and also used lindy's sprays to colour some snip art trees. I used embossing powder on the Eiffel tower. I also die cut various things that reminded me of books - such as Moby Dick and Around the world in Eighty days and coloured them with promarkers. These are all tattered lace dies - some of them from a slider pack and the books and the pen and ink stand from a separate pack. I used Crackle Glaze on the inkstand. I was not happy with the colouring I did, so I used distress crayons to add a little more depth. After assembling the canvas, I die cut some letters, and used some gems to make it look like letters were escaping from the books. Finally I stamped out the sentiment - fall into a paper world.





I have finally figured out how to use the stamp platform properly (hint - use a level secure surface) so the sentiment came out great. I'm pleased with this, because I like the fact that it is slightly out of the box, and that it marries two of my favourite things.

Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems