Skip to main content

Stitching of a different kind

I've been a bit more productive this week, at least at the beginning. The end of the week has not been great to be honest. Anxiety is high, and the side effects aren't appreciated by everyone. I'm working hard on curbing it though, but whether I am successful or not is another matter. Still, you never know if you don't try do you? I bought a planner for next year, to be a bit more organised than I have this year, and I hope to utilise it to monitor my good days, and my bad.

Anyway, on to the crafting. I'll have to apologise for the bad pictures; the lack of lighting at this time of year is a nightmare for bloggers. First of all, the stitching. One thing I have noticed is that the supposed dark blue thread is about a shade darker than the normal blue, when on the picture it's a much darker shade.




These are a couple of tealight candle holders. I saw this in a magazine, done with cityscape dies, so I dug my treeline dies out. These were cut out of black card, and glued on to the glass with matte mod podge, Then layers of sparkle mod podge were added to the outside of the glass, before glossy accents and distress glitter was added to the top.




Another thing I saw on-line that I thought I would do my version of. These are iron orchid design plaques made from paper clay. Each were painted with black gesso, before being painted with red, green or brown paint. They were then brushed with gold or silver wax, and names were cut out of card and painted the corresponding colours. Finally I added some festive wooden shapes, either trees or stags, before adding a ribbon to hand it up.

making some comfort
for to rest my weary head
from cloth and stuffing

This week was originally something else, but I should learn to walk before I run, so I started off small, by making a couple of cushions. This used up two items in my stash; a piece of material I got from a Crafty Creatives box absolutely ages ago, and stuffing from even longer ago than that. It was also the first time I used my mum's new sewing machine and, while I am not going to be whipping up designer dresses any time soon, I did manage to sew a couple of simple cushions on my own.

They turned out quite nice I thought. I love the material. It probably would have done better as an apron really, or at least a tea towel, but I wanted to use the stuffing. I need to start making a dent in my craft stash, and that's never going to happen when I am getting more stuff in than I use.

Emma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro