Skip to main content

I'm dreaming of a....

not a white Christmas, although that would be lovely. No, the dream thing is something else, which I will touch upon later. Before that, the crafting.

I'll start with the update on the stitch. Not much progress on it this week I am afraid.



The Earth is starting to take shape, but the slow progress on this, and other stitches, proves to me that I don't need anything else!

I've also been making a few other things, mainly cards.


I say mainly cards...this is actually an envelope, made using some of my new Tim Holtz dies. One thing I will say - I love distress crayons! Perfect for colouring those graves. One thing to note is that you have to roll the more intricate dies back and forth through your cutting machine a few times in order to get all the intricacies cut properly.



This is a simple card, made using a star background I had in my stash, flowers cut out of birthday paper with a pearl in the middle, a cake stamped and coloured, and finally happy birthday cut out in different fonts. The happy is actually from some Christmas dies I have. Always keep the letters, as you never know when you might need them in the future.


A request card! Never had that before. Anyway, the recipient likes purple, and dogs, so I used a piece of card I had cut flowers out of earlier, and a lilac card blank. I edged the flowers and the sides of the card with silver pen. Finally I stamped out some dogs and coloured them in, before covering them with clear embossing powder. I attached them to picture frames, which are just wooden frames with lindy's embossing powder.


I added a ribbon and a happy birthday motif (silver pen and black embossing powder) to make a kind of dog collar, to tie in with the theme.

no better purchase,
than to help special children,
meet with Mickey Mouse

So this was the weeks task, and the reason for the dream title. Yes, donating money seems like a simple thing, and in many ways it is, but I wanted to highlight this amazing organisation. It's Dreamflight, and I love it for a number of reasons. One, the simple link to Disney. I love Walt Disney World, I have never hidden that, and I would love to make a fourth trip one day. So anything to do with Disney is a plus for me. Two, Dreamflight is a charity that sends children who are seriously ill to Walt Disney World. If I love WDW, imagine what it's like as a child to see the illustrious mouse in his theme parks. Now imagine being a seriously ill child. Aside from what you have to go through at such a young age, something like WDW must seem so far out of reach. Yet this charity does it. And yes, they need money to do it, but you don't just have to donate money. You can buy a gift, whether it be a child's first day, a video and photographs so they can treasure the memories upon their return, or popcorn and icecream every day for the duration of their stay, amongst other gifts. So this was obvious to me; I know what it was like the first time I went to WDW, and I was an adult. To give that gift to a child? It's a no-brainer. If you want to do the same thing, go to dreamflight.org Their trip for this year is already underway (yesterday in fact) but you can always give them a running start for next year.

There is one other reason I love this charity. My cousin Laura, who is a paediatric nurse, has gone to WDW with Dreamflight for a number of years in the past. I have so much admiration for the people behind Dreamflight, and none more so than the nurses who take time out from their own lives to look after these children.

Next week, (hopefully) I will give something other than money to a good cause

Ems


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro