Skip to main content

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.

Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at Heart paper collection I just bought for the background. I cut the word thanks out of craft paper (really had trouble with this as the magnetic shim I have for my sizzix machine just didn't want to cooperate today. It's the first time I've used it, and I swear I took half an hour trying to get the letters to stay in place. This was the best I could do unfortunately. Looks ok though. I stamped a stag's head in stazon ink and distress inked the edges, before mounting it onto woodgrain card. Finally I cut some leaves from white card, inked them with peeled paint, folded them to make them a little more dimensional, and used brown perfect pearls as berries.

in a fishing boat
bobbing up and down
on a calm, still sea













Took a day trip to a few places near St Austell this week, as I had a week off between the old job (still so weird saying that) and the new one. One of the things I had planned to do right at the beginning of the year was to take a small boat trip. I wasn't specific about this; it could be anything from a pedalo to a sea trip, but one of the places we went to was Mevagissey, and as we were sat with our legs over the harbour wall eating fish and chips (and watching seagulls attack those who aren't as experienced as us in dealing with them) we saw that there were fishing boats offering a half hour sea trip around the cove for a fiver a head. So we decided to jump on this (not literally of course) and take a boat ride.

I'm not great on the sea. In fact this was one of the yearly targets that unnerved me the most. It's only been a year since I was last on a boat, but that was the ferry ride across from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight, which isn't a great trip. I wanted a boat ride for the journey, not for the destination. It was a lovely trip; the sea was relatively calm, especially as we headed out, and we were actually escaping the ominous grey clouds that had started to hover over Mevagissey. The way back was a little choppier as waves collided with each other, the sea turning an inky black as we headed back into port. The wind was fresh and inviting, the views fantastic, and even the fact that we were nowhere near land at the furthest point did not faze me as I thought it would.

Anyway, as I have said at the beginning of this post, tomorrow marks the start of a new chapter of my life. A new job. It may not be a big thing to some people, but I have been at my previous job for over fourteen years, and I never thought I would change. It may not have been on my yearly tasks, but it was on a bigger one, my fucket list. Honestly, I am petrified about tomorrow, but that is purely because it is something new. So, wish me luck and send good wishes please!

Ems


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro