Skip to main content

Sticks and stones...

It's been an unusual week for me. After fourteen years I have handed in my notice at my job. I'm feeling a little ambivalent about it at the moment; nerves are overriding the excitement I am feeling, so I flit between the two with startling regularity. Even with that, I have managed to do some crafting.


A simple bracelet, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box and a clasp from my stash.

I made a set of drawers, starting by adding some moulds, then some glass beads and art stones.


I then painted it all black, including the inside drawers. I left the inside of the set as I have found in the past that paint tends to make these swell so the drawers don't fit in.


I then painted the whole outside gold.

After painting it gold I painted it with one of my chalk paints, wiping off the excess and using prima gold and silver waxes to highlight certain aspects. I was going for a faux patina look, as if this piece had been dragged up from the depths of the ocean.






I also used a Tando Creative paper tray with my G45 Masquerade papers. Started off by painting it black and inking the edges with prima waxes to extend the harlequin feel. I fussy cut a lot of things, adding them with foam pads, and finally used mini gems in various places for a bit of bling.




advance from stick men
master paper and pencil
attempt to make art

This week I was planning on doing something else but time got away from me, so I decided to learn how to draw something. Now I am patently useless at art when it comes to drawing. I only ever got an A twice at school and neither times was it for typically drawing. (Have to admit I was surprised each time - they used to put the top ones on the whiteboard and I always had to have it pointed out to me) I tried to draw two things here; one was a failure, one wasn't.

This was the one I tried first. I got the body right, but the wings are lacking, both in detail and general shape. So I tried something else.

 I starts off with a basic shape. This was off one of those wikihow articles.
Next thing was to add details to the spine of the feather. From there it went to finishing the bloody thing with not much help except ' fill in the details of the feather'. Not very helpful. However, there was a picture so I decided to give it a try.


Not bad huh? I could see Samuel Pepys using this as a pen. The trick is not to make the strokes of the feather uniform. I don't think drawing is for me but I might try again in the future. I'd like to do a silhouetted tree.

Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…