Skip to main content much sugar

Been making a few things to order this week, which is a bit of a change for me. First of all, a friend asked me to make a wedding card for her best friend, so I decided to go for a vintage look with the paper dolls.

 I went for a 'something blue' theme. I die cut a piece of card with a mixed media die, backed it onto a blue patterned paper, and added a blue ribbon. I coloured key pieces of the wedding couple blue, then die cut their names.

I belong to a Facebook group who are doing a giveaway, so I decided to donate a few things.

These are paperclay, painted black, brushed with wax and with a bail glued on the back.

A similar thing but slightly more intricate. I got some prima bulbs, glued a skeleton paper on the back (can't remember where they came from) then added a pair of paper clay wings to them, coloured with wax.

Two notebooks here, done in the same way. I started off by gluing card to the front and back, before painting them with black gesso, then with chalk paint. I stamped them with a suitable image front and back with archival ink (didn't come up very clear but I think it adds to the whole degraded look) I then added some sand texture paste and some art stones on the spine and on parts of the front and back, painting them black and adding wax. Finally I stamped the same images on the inside pages. 

I've made a little progress on the cross stitch. Not much unfortunately as other things (like work) got in the way. Still, any progress is a step forward.

monster of milkshakes
it is filled to the brim with
cakes, sweets and whipped cream

Last year I read about a local place in Newquay that did freakshakes. They closed over the winter but I emailed them earlier this year to ask them if they were still going to do them and they answered in the affirmative. So this week I decided to go. Asked them again, just to be sure, and it turns out they changed their mind. Balls. Thankfully, Frankie and Benny's have just started doing them. Above, is the aptly names, cookie monster. They do this, and one other - movie magic.

Sugar overload! This is a chocolate and vanilla milkshake, with cookie syrup, malt balls (some malteser sized), chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and pieces of broken cookie. Don't worry if you can't finish it, they have takeaway cups (which the lovely woman serving us informed us when she saw my face). However, I was on a challenge, so finished it in one sitting. They are a tad expensive (£5.95) but if you think about it as a dessert rather than a drink it's not too bad. The cookie syrup meant it wasn't overly chocolatey, but I would suggest ordering something savoury to eat so you can take a break from the sugary goodness. The movie magic one sounds interesting - vanilla ice cream with popcorn flavour syrup, salted caramel sauce, and sweet and salted popcorn. A better balance overall I think.



Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.

So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.

The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.

I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.

I think this…