Skip to main content

Food, glorious food!

This week was an easy challenge, but before I get to that I have been working on a few things craft wise.

This is one of the Works boxes. I started off by using Prima moulds (love these moulds!) with paper clay, gluing them onto the box, and leaving it to dry for a few days before coating the whole box in black gesso. When dry I dry brushed the box with scarlet paint, and painted the moulds gold. When they were dry I coated them with black gesso, left it to dry a little then wiped it off with a baby wipe, so that the black was only in the recesses. Finally I added a couple of turquoise beads. I've fallen in love with these moulds, so much so I have bought a ton of chalk paints and waxes so I can use them more. They are the perfect way to alter a wooden piece.

This is my progress on the cross stitch. If you haven't guessed by now, it's a snow globe! It's a pattern from a Cross Stitcher magazine, with a few substituted colours. I've only got the snow to do now and the base of the globe, before moving onto the next.

down to the Chinese,
no char sui pork, no noodles,
try a brand new dish

I like a Chinese, but I do tend to go for the same dish again and again. We all like our favourites don't we? Sometimes though, we get stuck in a rut, plumping for the same dish because we are afraid that if we try something new we won't like it. Hence, this week's challenge. It's a little thing, but it's about straying from our comfort zone, no matter how small a distance we stray. I tried two new dishes; Singapore noodles and Kung Po chicken.

The noodles were surprisingly nice. I like rice noodles better than the fatter egg noodles, and the curry powder they were cooked in reminded me of my mum's curried rice. Didn't eat the chillies though! The chicken was good, not too spicy (which is why I stuck with Chinese food - Indian is a little too spicy for me). I'm not sure I would eat either dish again, purely because my favourite is still firmly at number one, but if I fancy a change I might.

Next week I try something possibly stupid!


Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.

So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.

The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.

I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.

I think this…