Skip to main content

So what resolutions have you made?

As I said in the last post, I decided to do things a little differently resolution wise this year. Before I get onto that, I want to get the crafting related posting out of the way first.



I wanted to do a simple tag, something that reminded me of one of the things most important to me; writing. I started off by inking the tag, stamping it with a script stamp, then using the ink spatter stencil with the black soot distress ink, following on with clear embossing powder so that it had a shine on the ink. I embossed a feather, spraying it with Lindy's spray then rubbing the raised parts with brown ink. I added black soot and clear embossing powder onto the nib (always loved the feather pens and inkwell). Finally I stamped a sentiment that was relevant to writing.



Here is my stitching update. As you can see I've started on the next flowerpot.

I've also got the December Bead Haul box through. The theme was heavy metal this time, which did disappoint me a little. Yes, metal may be popular through the winter but I would have preferred a little pop of colour to remind us that spring is round the corner. Here is what I got.



Beading wire. Makes a nice change to have this in here.

A tassel charm. I can see this on a necklace below a large bead or gem.

Two celtic knot charms.

Some beads.

More beads. This is where I would have liked to see some colour to be honest.

Some cord. Again, a nice change.

Findings. Interestingly enough, all silver. Obviously to fit in with the theme, though gold and brass are also metals technically.

More beads.

Some....weird....springy things. No idea what to call them, as the picture that accompanies the box each time did not have names. However, these are super light and would make good earrings.

A wing. One of the few things with some colour, but I don't think I will be using it as jewellery. More likely going to be part of a mixed media project in future.

More beads.

Two moon charms. Too big for earrings (not to mention facing the same way) but would be good as necklaces, especially as they have the hook on the inside so you can add a ghostly pearl perhaps.

Origami foxes. These probably would have had a more appropriate home in the last geometry box, but they fit this one too.

Some kind of statement pendant. I will admit I do not like this, but I will find a use for it somewhere.

I don't know if these are headpins, or decorations in their own right. I like the bunch of grapes look on them.

Right. onto the resolutions. I have decided this year to do a new thing every week. Strictly speaking, they don't have to be so new that I have never done them before, but the key is to do something different. I have already decided on the things I want to do, though not the order yet as some will be more season specific than others. For now, here is week one.

see beauty in words,
poetry in syllables,
metaphors abound.

So week one's challenge was to look at Haiku's. I am beyond useless at poetry, never graduating beyond the need for consecutive lines to rhyme so poetry was an obvious challenge to me. Haiku's are a form of poetry popular in Japan, characterised by how small the poems are. In Western society we have adapted them to three line poems, such as the one above. The first line always has five syllables, the second seven, and the third five again. Modern poets think that we should not be restricted to that rigid set of syllables, but I thought I would stick to tradition. Haiku's have always made me think of still waters and cherry blossoms, and I have found this week that they are particularly helpful in indicating to a person what words are useless. In other words, how to eloquently express yourself without the overuse of superfluous words. (Such as that last sentence) Usually in writing, words like of, that or the are fine, but with few syllables allowed, you really have to think about what you are trying to express. I decided to do a Haiku for each of my weekly tasks, so I will start each week with the Haiku relative to that task. Interestingly enough this week has done something positive, as I found myself walking to work this morning and contemplating a garden I walked by, and spontaneously coming up with a Haiku for it.

the holly bears fruit,
in dead of winter life blooms,
amongst leafless trees

So perhaps there is a poet in me after all!

While looking into Haiku's, I found a couple that other people have done that I particularly liked.

Rushing blue-green tide,
slip smoothly through tinted waves,
underwater world

Feeling your spirit,
is as on springtime mornings,
when breathing deeply

If you are interested in Haiku's yourself, this website is a good place to start. Just remember, it is five-seven-five, and it can be addictive!

Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems