Skip to main content

Odds and sods

First things first, this weeks decluttered items. I decided to go with the same theme for all items this week. Books. It's hard for me as I love keeping as many books as possible but things have to go or I'm going to end up like Mr Trebus.
Stephen King's Finders Keepers. I liked this book but it's not my favourite of his, so not one I felt the need to hang onto. Went to a charity shop.

The Faraway Tree collection. A remnant from my childhood, this went to someone I know who has grandchildren. I hope it gives them the same pleasure it gave me as a child

A Mind of it's own. Popular science book, but not one of my favourites. Charity shop.

The Loney. Bought this a few months ago in a supermarket with a tip. I liked it, but I don't think I would read it again. Charity shop.

We are all completely beside ourselves. Fascinating idea for a story. I think I gave this to the same charity shop I bought it from so it's a double donation.

Bad Medicine. I wanted to like this but it glosses over too many different subjects when I wanted it to be more in depth. Charity shop

Finally the Sherlock chronicles. I have to stop buying film/tv tie ins! I got this in Plymouth in March. Charity shop.
I have been doing craft stuff again (including making a card which I will share next week.) What I have done this week is make a jewellery set for a little girl for Christmas. I used some of the things I got from the last Beadhaul box (the ice cream charms I didn't like for myself)

The earrings were made with hook earrings, the ice cream charms, and some blue and yellow beads.

The necklace started with a piece of cord that I threaded word blocks spelling the girls name onto, and the ice cream charm was attached using a jump ring. It's important to use the right size jump ring so the charm doesn't move much from it's position.

I didn't want it to be a whole cord, and also wanted to repeat the yellow and blue beads on the earrings, so I used a jump ring to clamp each end of the cord, using other jump rings to attach the beads, which had been threaded through an eye pin. Finally I used a chain fragment and a necklace clasp to finish.

Here is the finished article. I think it work well for a young girl - not too childish but not too grown up either.
Happy crafting


Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.

So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.

The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.

I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.

I think this…