Skip to main content

Feminine doesn't have to be pink

I was making a Christmas present for somebody the other day and I got an email from That's Crafty for their latest challenge, which is feminine, so I decided to enter it into it. I'm also going to enter it into Finnabairs denim journal challenge using blue as my inspiration.

I started off with a plain wooden chest of drawers, coating it with white gesso then with tissue paper. After it was dry I inked it with distress pads and coated it with crackle texture paste. The interesting thing here is that I then had to take away the wooden lines between the drawers as the glue had swelled them so they wouldn't fit!! Lesson learned.


 
This is one side. I used some Docraft Parisienne blue paper for the 'blue' of the box, using a thinlits mixed media die to make a negative image and allow the tissue to shine through. The panel was inked with walnut stain on the side. Finally I cut some flowers and butterflies out, adding a gem in the middle of each flower.

 
This is the top. Same patterned paper on the bottom, with a wallpaper type paper on the other half, a die cut shape in the dark blue and the name Nat, and a blue ribbon to separate it.

 
Here is the back. I loved the tissue tape dragonfly and really wanted it mainly untouched, so to keep a bit of the blue I added some vellum. It bubbled up a little but I think it adds to it.



 
Here is the third side. I've torn the top of the paper so that the tissue paper is showing, and added a die cut branch and some butterflies. You'll see that some of the butterflies are double layered, the lower layer being dark blue.



 
This is my favourite bit! I used texture paste and perfect pearls with a floral stencil, then painted a few wooden shapes with more perfect pearls. I glued the butterfly onto a cage before I attached it to the drawers. What I like here is that the drawers have to be in a certain order for the pattern to work.



 
So there you have it! Hope you like it. (also really hope the recipient does!)
 
Ems

Comments

  1. It's beatiful! You have done a delicate piece!GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Thank you for joining with us the Denim fun at Finnabair blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing chest make over! Cool design! Thanks for playing along with Finnabair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! Thanks for playing with us!.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…