Skip to main content

Do I need to go back on a spending ban?

Last year, at least for the first part, I did really well with saving money. This year? Not so much. In fact I've done terribly. I don't know what has changed to be honest. For example, even though I have not actually done this months challenges (due to the month not being over, not because I've failed) I have already bought the treat! Totally wrong, and I'm disappointed in myself. So the question remains, do I need to go on a spending ban again and if so, for how long? It wasn't a spending ban last year per se, but an attempt at frugality. The irony is, when I made that first post I said about a spendthrift year, getting the definition the wrong way round. Well this year has been a spendthrift year, but it doesn't need to be.

Anyway, back to the crafting. The first thing I made this week was a birthday card, using some of the new stuff I got. I stamped some blueprint stamps onto card together, then again separately. The separate ones I cut out, coloured with distress markers, and attached to the together ones by foam pads. I inked the edges of the card, and used some perfect pearls.


 
Here is a close up of the pearls. Not bad for a first try at them.

 
The background is a birthday paper I had in my stash, and I used some flowers and ribbon as decoration.

 
You can just see the 3D effect on the cake.

 
Here's my update on the Beauty and the Beast stitch.
 
Finally, I saw this amazing tag the other day, and thought I'd try to make my own version. I didn't have the thinlits she used to give dimension to the tag, so instead I used an embossing folder. I've had it for ages and never used it. To make it a little different, rather than using just butterflies I used one butterfly (cut it twice so you get one with the details you can glue to the plain background) and a heart (ditto). I also die cut the word create. Once glued on you paint with black gesso then dry brush with various paints. I used the distress paints at my disposal; tarnished brass, antique bronze, burnished silver, iced spruce, fire brick red and gathered twigs. I then sprayed it with a glimmer mist.


 
I decided to add a trail of bronze perfect pearls, to look like a butterfly trail. As you can see I mucked one up.

 
Finally at the top I used an enamel tag with some remnant rub ons and alcohol ink, coating it with glossy accents, and a decorative pin that I twisted around with pliers to attach, before using a ribbon in my stash to tie it to the tag.
 
So there you have it. Not as good as the original, but my take on it.
 
Happy crafting everyone, and hopefully no spending!
Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems