Skip to main content

Revisiting my magazine freebies

As I've said before, it's always interesting to revisit your stash. you find stuff you forgot you even had, or inspiration will strike with something you were previously at a loss to use.

I've had plenty of magazines in the past, including two subscriptions. The one thing that you will get with craft mags, is a free gift on the front. With cross stitching mags it is usually a chart or mini kit, like the bird kit that started my cross stitch obsession. Papercraft mags have a wider range, from stamps to bowmakers, papers to charms (though not many of those anymore for some reason), embossing folders, dies, scoring boards, the list is almost endless. So, if like me you buy a lot of the magazines, you amass a lot of these freebies. I tend to be slightly more selective now, though if a free gift catches my eye it still ends up in my stash.

Today's post illustrates some of the freebies I've had. These have been in my stash for over a year now (shame). The first selection was accompanied by a paper bow template, which I have used on many an occasion. With this they had some card bases, some pop out toppers, some co-ordinating papers, and some pegs.



 



 
Simple, effective, very quick to prepare. The only thing extra needed was foam pads, which every crafter worth their salt have in their stash. It just shows the quality of the freebies really; the patterns make really striking cards.
 
The second set of freebies was a load of toppers and co-ordinating papers. I used the bow template from the other freebie, but aside from that (and having to use a plain card) it's all from this magazine freebie.
 

 
Definitely a more child orientated set of papers, but none the less effective for a Christmas card. I especially like using foam pads to make it look like there is a present of candy canes.
 
Next is a sneak peak of the jewellery holder I'm making for myself.
 




You can obviously guess what theme i'm going for here.

There would ordinarily be an update with the stitch here. There has been some progress, but I forgot to take a picture of it and unfortunately now the lighting is poor. On the writing front I've stuck to writing every day during November. I'm not totally happy with it still, but I'm persevering.


End of the year I will be posting a review of how well my frugal year has been. There have been some highs and some lows, and I've figured out that I still need to distract myself, or my bad habits come out in other ways (eating too much at the moment for example) I think next year I need to work harder on developing good habits, but there is time for that.
 
Finally, I found these photo frames in Poundland.
 
Isn't it lovely? And perfect for altering. It's a great example of not having to fork out tons of money to get something to alter. Some of the best things I've altered have been cheap or free (for example, the cutlery drawer given to me or the vodka bottles found at work) Always keep an eye out for a bargain!
 
Till next time
Ems
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems