Skip to main content

Project 20

Ah the penultimate project. This one was called Harlequin Masquerade and was designed by Sue Wilson. Here is her version


I decided to take a few ideas from this, but do something a little different. With the reds, blacks and golds in this, I thought it lent itself well to a masculine card, taking away the beads and the mask and the feathers. So instead, digging through my stash I decided on the theme of arrows. Here is my version




I used some of the kraft resist paper and some fired brick distress ink for the triangle, inked along the edge with gathered twigs, and cut a border out of kraft paper. I actually cut two borders and cut one up to put behind the circular arrows. The arrows themselves are made of grungeboard, and painted with either fired brick or black soot paint. The circular arrow works as a C as well, for the intended recipient! I've got to say I'm really loving the kraft resist paper. You can alter it to fit whatever project you're doing if you've got the right distress pad!

I've been working on the starry night cross stitch too. Here is the latest update.


It's definitely on its way. I reckon it should be done within the month. 

Spending wise, I made the sensible decision of cancelling my magazine subscription. I was keeping it running for the free gifts but I've got enough stuff to be getting on with at the moment, and I need to work more on my skills for things I already do (for example jump rings; I was really unhappy when mums mothers day presents broke) On 10/3 I bought some shortbread, bruschetta and cake pop molds (for UTEE actually) as well as getting a couple of fruit pots (24p each down from £1) some crumpets (39p each originally 85p) two lots of risotto rice £2.60, and 2 Dr Peppers for £2. On 13/3 I bought some deodorant (£1) a Papercrafter mag (£4.99 - really loved the stamps) and some cat food (£4)

Before I carry on I want to give a piece of advice. If, for some reason, you feel like spending money on nothing in particular, a good way of snapping you out of it is by going into a clothes shop and trying a piece of clothing one size down than usual ON PURPOSE. Looking at yourself in the mirror not only makes you rethink the idea of spending but, in my case at least, it has also given me the incentive to get back on my exercise bike. I'm starting slowly (I'm an exercise-phobic) but the thought is there. 

Back onto the spending, on mothers day I bought a chinese for four of us. We got pork with beansprouts, a pork curry, beef with mushrooms, chilli beef, chicken balls, egg fried rice, noodles, chips and a banana fritter. All in all it came to £28,70. On 18/3 I bought 2 multipacks of crisps, some marshmallows, some OJ mango and passionfruit smoothie, sweetcorn, micro rice and quinoa for a total of £9.70

On mums birthday, I took £50 out for a meal. A round of drinks (2 cokes, an oj and a hot choc) at Spoons cost £6.78. My share of the meal (a platter at the Bullpit in Newquay) came to £26, and I spent £4 on a taxi home. I also picked up two oj, mango and passionfruit smoothies at Aldi. They cost £1.19 each, which is 81 pence cheaper than Sainsburys. Shows it pays to shop around!

For those of you who have been following my progress with my debut novel, you will kow that unfortunately I have not made the pre-orders needed to get published. I will be the first to admit, this has knocked me back hard. I know that there is nobody who gets published on the first try, but I was hoping that enough people would pre-order. It kind of feels like that episode of the Simpsons years ago, where Bart studies for the test and still gets an F. "I really tried this time. I really tried. This is as good as I can do, and I still fail" 

I'm not giving up though. I've given up too many times in my life, and the result is I feel like a failure. So keep a weather eye on the horizon; you never know, one day you may see that book.

Finally, the task update

1. Starry night cross stitch (page 4)
2. Complete project book (20/21)
3. Complete book plans (a little progress)
4. Read and review 100 books (46/100)
5. Make 14 christmas presents (no progress since last update)
6. Make 11 birthday presents (Made 7/11)
7. Make calendar, box and tags (started planning calendar)
8. Hit minimum savings target (25%)
9. Kili cross stitch (no progress)
10. Write 50,000 words (no progress)

Ems x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems