Skip to main content

The end of a (somewhat) productive week

So today is the day before I'm back to work, and here is the last thing I made this week; my mum's birthday present.

A couple of months ago I was walking past a charity shop and I spotted a jewellry box, so I decided to buy it. Here is what it looked like when I bought it.




Now I knew that I didn't want to change the inside, as purple is mum's favourite colour. I did however, want to do something with the outside. 

I started off by painting it black using acrylic paint, and then sealing it with spray. I then used a versamark ink pad, a script background stamp, and some mica powder, to decorate. I then made some shapes and leaves out of polymer clay, coated them with mica powder, and attached them to the lid of the box.



Here you can see the polymer clay shapes on the top, and the script all over the box.








I added some flowers from my stash (daisies as I felt I didn't want flowers with too much colour) and stamped a butterfly stamp (consisting of three stamps) four times onto white shrink plastic, coloured them in with promarkers, and shrunk them, glueing them onto the leaves/flowers, once everything else was dry. 

I think the minimal decoration works for this. I was initially tempted to add some paper, either on the lid or along the side, but on reflection I don't think it needs it. 

I'm entering this into the That's crafty animal magic challenge

Happy crafting 
Ems x


Comments

  1. Wow ... a transformation and a half! It doesn't look like the same box. Well done Ems. ~ Cobs. ... oh... and ... good luck with the competition! (I've entered that one too! First time I've ever entered one. eeeek!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh now i don't want to win - i want you too!

      Delete
    2. aw, bless your heart. Thank you. But ... looking at the entries I've a feeling that I'm up against quite a lot of great crafters.

      But it doesn't matter even if I don't win. What was important was that I took hold of my courage and actually stopped paying lip service to entering any type of crafting competition, and actually DO IT! I felt like I'd climbed a mountain once I'd finally posted the picture and link.
      Small things make me happy. LOL ~ Cobs. x

      Delete
    3. It's a scary thing when you first put your work in a challenge - it's like it's up for intense scrutiny, much more than the usual blog post. However, it's worth it. I just made Top 3 for the Tick Tock challenge!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro