Skip to main content

Project Eleven and the first birthday present

A couple of projects today; the first from the project book. The original is called Bon Voyage and is designed by Tracey Evans. Here is her version.


I don't have any embossing powder so I couldn't do the background the way it was. I tried using versa mark ink aon a white card then distress inking it but it didn't really work unfortunately. To be honest, I'm not sure what would work other than embossing powder which I don't want to fork out for. Anyone got any alternatives?


I'm gonna come right out and say it. I am unhappy with this piece. I couldn't get the distress ink to blend properly (need to work on that), for some reason the crackle accents turned the blue ink on the sentiment brown, and the inking round the picture frame is just awful The blue is far too heavy. I like the picture though, as a stamp it really works. 

Onto project two. This was the first birthday present. It's recipient is a seven year old girl. I got a biscuit tube, filled it with some ink pads and stamps that I have never used, and then decorated the outside using papers, ribbon and decoupage from my Roald Dahl collection.





Simple but effective. The brilliant thing about the Roald Dahl collection is that, regardless of age, it appeals to the child in you. The stories will be read for years to come. Plus I love the illustrations by Quentin Blake.

I've also been working on the cross stitch. One advantage of cross stitch is that you have to follow a pattern, so if your creativity is somewhat stifled (say after doing a poor version of a project) then you can still work on it. Here is the update


It's amazing how quickly this page is coming along compared to the first one. With any luck I should have earned my first treat in about six months (!)

Finance wise I have not spent any money aside from £10.05 today for food for work. I have been tempted though. I really want to get some alphabet stamps so that I can add quotes to craft pieces, rather than rely on the limited quotes I have. The question is, do I wait and get some on my birthday, or is £7 a small treat? If I'm honest, I know I should wait.

Here are the task updates 
1. Starry Night cross stitch (on page 2)
2. Complete project book (11/21)
3. Complete book plans (some progress made)
4. Read and review 100 books (14/100)
5. Make 15 christmas baubles (no progress)
6. Make 12 birthday presents (1/12)
7. Make calendar, G45 books and tags (no progress)
8. Hit minimum savings target (no progress)
9. Kili cross stitch (no progress)
10. Write 50,000 words (no progress)

By the look of it I'm subconsciously focussing on a few tasks, and leaving others for a later date. I had planned on working on my mums birthday present tonight, but the oven isn't working and there is no point working with polymer clay if I can't bake it, so it's back to the stitching tonight.

Happy crafting 
Emma x




Comments

  1. I love that project book you're using - it's really working for you. It's bringing the creativity out of your soul and it's now in evidence. FABULOUS!
    ~ Cobs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more a case of raiding my stash and finding something that's slightly familiar to the stuff in the project book but thanks for the compliment Cobs :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro