Skip to main content

A stitchy update

Just thought I'd do a quick one today, showcasing my latest cross stitch update. I've been doing a little bit of stitching every day this week, and here is the result

I usually work one colour at a time, as those of you who follow my blog will know. For this page I had to find the right colour to start with, so that I could plot out the points easily. From there it makes it a lot easier to work on subsequent colours. I think I'm the only person that does it like this!

I've also been working on birthday presents again, finishing this one. It started off as an altoid tin.

I started off by finding objects, some chipboard and resin, and a metal anchor. I glued them onto the lid and then painted it blue, left it to dry and sealed with acrylic spray.

I then dry brushed different metallic distress paints onto the tin, and sealed it again.

Here is a look at the back of the tin. I purposely left it a bit bluer.

Here is the inside of the tin. I coated it with glue to seal it but left that as the decoration as I want it to be a usable tin. 

Here is the inside of the lid. I found a nice quote about sisters, stamped it using alphabet stamps and inked each word. 

You can just see a plastic case, put there to protect the three dimensional elements on the lid.

These are the three dimensional elements I was talking about; flowers and a butterfly (or two) that I fussy cut.

As I said, short update today. I have spent £15.06 this morning, getting food for work and cat food. It was a bit more expensive than usual as I had to go to the Co-op not Asda. (£4.19 for six tins of cat food vs less than £3 which I usually spend)

Happy crafting peeps!

PS - for those of you who don't already know, I am trying to get my debut novel published through Britains Next Bestseller. It's called Lonely as a cloud, and can be found via this link

Please, if you get a chance, take a look. 


Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.

So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.

The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.

I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.

I think this…