Skip to main content

I said i'd make up for it!

Well, I promised that I would make up for not doing anything last week so prepare for a pic-heavy post!

A couple who are customers of mine are moving, and gave me a microwave, free of charge! So, to thank them, I made them this card.

It's my first attempt at using flowersoft. I decided to leave the image colour free as the flower soft trees then stand out. The background is kraft paper, free papers from a magazine (always a great source) and a ribbon from my stash. The butterfly is also from my stash. This is my first attempt at layering different papers and I'm really pleased with the result.


I promised my sister I'd make her some bats she could make into earring so here they are sis!



This is another wooden box. I stained it with distress ink and then tried to add rub ons. No matter how hard i rubbed them they would not come off onto the wood! So some of them I managed to peel off, and some I scratched onto card. I then covered it with crackle glaze. I'm not 100% happy with it but it's ok.


As I have said before, I wanted to start making jewellry I could sell and to use the metal charms in my stash for inspiration. This is my first necklace. Inspired by the metal flower i made a shrink plastic hive and a polymer clay bee.


I had six metal masks which i was at a loss for ideas until I thought of the seven sins! Bear in mind one of them is apathy, so I decided not to do that one out of laziness! (Well it was really as I had no idea where the masks were from) . I added a polymer clay flower to each one, made with black clay using a mould and coloured with mica powders. Next, I had to come up with ways to symbolise each sin.







The hardest one to do was pride, in the end I settled on the mirror from Snow White. My favourite is envy.

These are the finished pieces. Each sin has its shrink plastic tag and mask counterpart, and all have gold pearls and red beads. These necklaces (including the bee) will all be on sale in the future, so if you are interested in any of them let me know.

Off topic but still on the creativity side, I want to revisit fear. Fear, as I have said before, is a crippler. I have finished one book, and, aside from sending it to a few of my friends for feedback, I have done nothing with it. In short, I am afraid to take the next step and send it to a publisher. Unfortunately I am one of these people that could get a thousand comments, 999 of which are positive and I would focus on that one negative, dwelling on it to the detriment of all else, and I would probably end up jacking things in altogether. But I have to ask myself, why did I write it if not to try to get it published?

I hope all are well and crafting up a storm 
Emma x







Comments

  1. Lovely stuff! I have never tried flowersoft but it is a VERY effective medium on your card - you may have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma,glad to see you have been busy! I especially love all the necklaces,such a clever idea. People do like to have something different and a talking point so I reckon these will be sold in no time!
    Hmm you sound like me really,always our own worse critics! Go ahead with your book Emma,if you have a talent use it,there are always some out there who like to be destructive no matter what,just ignore them.

    That's whats so great about the crafting world,all lovely people :)

    Hope you are keeping okay
    Hugs
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a busy bee you've been!

    I shall start from the bottom and work up ...
    The Seven Sins Necklaces:- What an inspired idea! I've never seen anything like those before, so totally unique. Well done on thinking up such a well thought out, planned out project with an end result you can be rightly proud of.

    The Beehive Necklace:- Aw now I have a soft spot for beehives. A beehive was among my own very first painted projects when I began crafting - and the one you've made is very much like that hive! Such a sweet necklace - I'm sure that will sell quickly if you put it up for sale.

    The Little Wooden Box:- I think you made a great job of it! I can't even see why you'd be less than a hundred percent happy with it, because to me it kind of feels like a nod to steampunk; a hat tip to vintage; and totally unique. I like the way it turned out.
    (I know what you mean about stickers on wood. They don't like wood and wood doesn't like stickers. Try using glue on the back of them next time. Just regular PVA will probably work perfectly - and once dry (must be totally dried out so leave it 24 hours) use PVA to seal the project. (PVA acts as a - sort of - varnish. But ... it's not water-tight or suitable for outside things).

    The Bats: Awww - what's not to like about them! (You could make some of these coming up to Halloween. I bet they'd sell. ... but don't make too many of them, because people will want 'unique', so make them a 'limited edition'!)

    And last but not least: The Card:- My favourite simply because I like handmade cards soooo much.
    I love flower soft and use it in touches where folks would least expect to see it. But it works BRILLIANTLY for all sorts of things - as proven by your fabulous topiary trees!

    When I read that it was your first time of using Flower Soft I couldn't believe it. You've made the PERFECT trees! They have dimension and the 'silhouette' is brilliant. Sharp and crisp.

    Emma - you're amazing! You've crafted up a whirlwind of fabulousness, and it's brilliant to see what you've accomplished and how positive you sound in this post. I can actually feel your happiness coming over in your words and it's making me smile, big time.

    I feel as if the sun has shone all over your world this past week, and it's raised your inner happiness levels to 'HIGH'.

    You're a truly creative, magnificent, exceptional, crafting woman! Keep on keeping on, because ...well ... it feels great, doesn't it?!!
    Sending lots of love and crafting bubbles your way ~ Cobs. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems