Skip to main content

Configuration box part 1

I am agog sometimes at the sheer amount of things that people are able to create in such a short space of time. I am not one of those super-productive people unfortunately. This week, I had a little conundrum. I have been working on my configuration box but am nowhere near finished, so what to post on here?

Then I thought, I have been posting my progress on my cross stitches all this time so why not do the same for any big project?

So here are my finished components so far. As there are twelve boxes, I decided to allocate each box to a month, and the front cover to the seasons. The first thing to do is to cover the box.

This is the finish on the cover. I didn't want to cover it with paper, and I have very limited paint so I improvised. I used salem blue paint, then coated it with rock candy crackle paint. Once this had dried I used pumice stone and peeled paint distress pads into the cracks. Finally I sprayed some interference green mica powder onto it.


One thing that is very important; if you are going to paint the edges of each box do it BEFORE you put the papers in! 

This is the winter portion of the cover. I am trying to experiment with different techniques that I have never tried before. I used an embossing folder on Ranger foil, then lightly inked it with blue alcohol ink. I then put a circle of gold mica powder on the top right hand corner. I inked a lamppost with black ink, sanded it a little and then added gathered twigs, then I glued it onto the foil, so that the gold powder became the glow from the lamppost. Then I added vintage christmas flowersoft in a spiral on the lamppost, and polar white flower soft along the bottom.

The snowman is painted with picket fence crackle paint. The twigs are coated with gathered twigs, the carrot with rusty hinge and the hat and eyes just black. There is polar white flower soft along the bottom and distress glitter along the left hand edge.


This is the March box. There is a wooden spool covered with measuring tape ribbon, and butterfly stickers and buttons. The butterflies symbolise the first day of Spring (21st March), and the spool symbolises my mum, whose birthday is in March and is an avid sewer. (I mean she sews not she is somewhere waste ends up!)

This is going to be the centrepiece for the cover. It is a Tim Holtz ornate plate with a chip board back which is inked with broken china and sparkle mica powder. The word time is from quotable notables. In retrospect I should have let it completely dry before I put the glossy accents in as it has wrinkled slightly, but it looks nice.

Aside from these (and there are various little pieces I have also completed but I'd like to show each season and month separately), I have also been working on the photo stitch. Here is the progress so far:


Three and a half pages to go!

I'm actually enjoying doing the configuration box now. I had the idea a while ago but was afraid to start, so it has sat and gathered dust for the last six months. It shows that, while we buy things because they are pretty or because we see what other people can do with them, and then leave them up on a shelf, everything will get used eventually! I've now got some good ideas for the rest of the box so, time allowing, part 2 of the box will be up next week.

Happy crafting everyone!

Emma x






Comments

  1. Hi Emma, I am liking this stage by stage idea. It shows the thought process that goes into it all. I really should start taking step by step pictures but I don't know in advance what I am going to do so it's a bit late by then when I am halfway through!

    Hope you are okay
    Hugs
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emma!
    I'm loving this idea of yours to 'detail' your configuration box step by step and month by month. It gives me something to look forward to.

    I really like what you've done with it so far. Adore the idea for the cotton reel as a representation of your Mum. So lovely! Or should I say: Sew Lovely! (lol)

    The cross stitch always leaves me in awe. I really don't have the required staying power to do something so detailed as that. I think I'd only have to make one mistake and that would be curtains for the whole project. (Although mind - that's probably down to me not having full feeling in my fingertips. I'm useless with hand sewing as I keep dropping the needles - I can't feel myself holding them - and so they end up having to be threaded a hundred times - {biiiiiig sigh}.

    I really enjoyed this post. (Yes, honestly). You feel .... sort of ... UP. And I love it!
    Have a truly blessed Monday and a fabulous week ~ Cobs. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro