Skip to main content

Spending ban update 1...and other stuff

For some reason i appear to have got into the habit of updating this every Thursday, including everything i have done craftwise within the previous week. I don't know whether this is the right way to do things, or whether i should update with every new item i've made. To be fair, i don't think there is a right way of doing things. I don't want any readers there are to be oversaturated with posts, especially as i seem to write very long ones! Part of the reason i only update once a week is because i have to psych myself up for it. I have a general idea of what each post should contain, but, when it comes to writing it it is straight out of my head. No rough draft, just type and post. I have always worked this way, even when i was at university writing essays. I just can't work with a rough draft. Of course, yet again, depression has a hand in my posts. It affects your ability to think, or to process thoughts.So, to counteract this i make lists of things i have to do each day, and i wait until i feel thoughts flowing through my head before i post a new entry. The obvious exception is the 500 words in my book whenever i can, but it takes time between turning the computer on and setting down my first sentence.

The first week of the spending ban has gone well. I have bought the magazine that i wanted, but no other unnecessary spending has been done. For the first time in a while, i actually have money in my account at the end of the month. It's not much money admittedly, but it is progress. I realise that people may think the method of counting the spending ban is strange, and perhaps i can cheat a bit by having a Numb3rs marathon, but i assure you that is not going to be the case. I have promised myself that i have to complete whatever is on my daily list before i watch any episode, and, as you will see by the count at the bottom of the post, i have not watched many episodes this week. The only thing that i have been looking at buying this week, is a Raskog trolley from Ikea, which would be perfect for my craft supply, but it's more of a wishlist than a want right now.

Anyway, onto the crafting! This week it is another birthday, but instead of the card, as it has already been done, it's onto the present! I stitched this a while ago, and decided it would look good in a cushion rather than framed. The material was from my stash (code for i can't remember where i got it)
It does say 'and' on there, even if it doesn't look like it!

Carrying on with the stitching theme, here is the update on the photo stitch.
Not quite finished the second page, but almost there. 

I've wanted to do a Tim Holtz style tag for a while, but had no idea where to start, as all the ones that he does are simply amazing. Still, he had to start somewhere, and so must i. I decided to theme mine on one of my loves, reading. I started by using four alcohol inks (the only ones i have) to colour a tag. Ironically when i had done this, the reverse actually looked better, so i decided to use that instead. A hairdryer works as a good substitute for a heat gun, for drying tags anyway. Shrink plastic is another matter. I distress inked the side of the tag with frayed burlap, and then I added rub-ons all over the tag. I cut out cardstock in various colours to resemble books. When it was done i still thought there was something missing, so i raided my stash and found some chipboard letters which i distress inked with faded sapphire, and a book metal charm and some miniature clocks.

The last thing i added was the scroll, which is just a piece of paper than i embossed with college lined notebook embossing folder and inked. The saying is by Socrates.

I really enjoyed making this tag, and am pleased with how it turned out. I already have ideas for a second, so that may be in next week's post! First, i have three more cards to make.

Bye for now, Emma

Spending ban Numb3rs episode count: 11/118



Comments

  1. You're doing better than I am on the challenge. I gave in and bought a set of dies to go with some vintage papers that I've got. Less than £10, but still more that I was challenging myself to buy. tsk tsk.

    I have the opposite problem regarding posting on my blog ... I'm not sure if I'm posting too much. I think, because I don't 'Facebook' I feel as if I've got to work harder to make things interesting and keep the handful of followers I've got reading.

    But I don't really think that there's a right or wrong way to do it Ems. There's just a way that works for 'us' the blogger themselves.

    Personally, I love the way you blog, and I always find that I'm left wanting more from visiting your blog - so you've probably got it just right, because you keep us wanting more!

    LOVE that trolley by the way! I'm adding that to my ever-growing list of Wants.

    Great post again Ems! ~ Cobs. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems