Skip to main content

Close to the end...and close to the edge

Obviously by the title you can see that i have been unsuccessful in my attempts to lift myself out of depression thus far; in fact i seem to be spiralling further downwards. The question remains, how close am i to the edge, and what happens when i fall off?

Spending ban wise i am still doing ok. I had my April takeaway last week, and, aside from still wanting that trolley, i have kept my bank balance relatively ok. It could be better...but it could be worse.

Before i get to the crafting, i wanted to share something i forgot in the last post. This is my sewing machine

The reason for this is a combination of being afraid my fingers will end up being stitched if i use an electric machine, and the simple reason that i love vintage! 

I've done another two cupcakes on my second stitch, so have five more to go before the backstitch.

Papercraft wise i have been relatively busy, so the rest of this post will be pic-heavy.


This is for my older brother's birthday. First thing i did was to cut out a typewriter and telephone from my movers and shapers die. Well actually, the first thing i did was get annoyed that when i bought this stuff from Hobbycraft, including the Big Shot, nobody had the foresight to tell me that i needed a magnetic base tray. Still, improvisation is the core of any crafter, so i eventually figured out the right amount of card i needed to add to my sandwich for it to cut through. I used black and silver ink to colour them, and a gold strip for the buttons. The background is Madam Payraud, inked with faded burlap. Then i couldn't help but draw attention to his age by getting some grungeboard and inking the number with gold and the arrows with chipped sapphire. Sorry Carl! I have made it up to you by making some pirate badges.


This one is for my dad's birthday. I cut a sign out, embossed it with circles and distressed it with tattered rose and weathered wood. The post was brown ink and interference green perfect pearls. The background is from the pebble stack. I felt it was still missing something, so i cut a chipboard swirl and inked it with chipped sapphire and interference green so it looks like vines on the post. I then added two metal brads from Manmade embellishments, and two cactus like flowers to hide the edges of the brads. The letters are Tim Holtz dodads.



The second card is for fathers day. I used black ink and evergreen bough on the die-cut camera, perfect sparkle to highlight certain aspects, and crackle glazed the whole thing. The vellum quote is from quotable noteables. You can't see it clearly in the pic, but i used Madam Payraud behind the vellum; a script for the words part, and some bugs for the picture part. The card background is from the Chickadee paper stack. I then cut out some vintage pics, and stuck them to some Tim Holtz film ribbon. Finally i made a little charm with some black and gold beads and a camera charm.


I also made my second tag (i love tags!). I haven't got any blending solution and am obviously on the spending ban, so i distress inked the tag in chipped sapphire and then threw some water droplets onto it, before drying with a hairdryer. I then stamped images in black, and went over the lady in chipped sapphire. I added some gems into the hair and one for the eye. The heart is grungeboard, i used tea dye on the wings then diluted it with perfect pearl and crackle glazed it. The heart is raspberry sparkle, and the crown i had in my stash. I coloured the butterfly using interference green and sparkle, and added some flowers from Wild Orchid crafts. 

Now, the title of this post is close to the end, and to the edge. Obviously the edge part is about my depression, but rest assured the close to the end part isn't. That is about my book! I am aiming to get this finished by the end of May at the latest, but it may be even quicker than that. I have also finally come up with a title for it.

I'm really hoping that the next post will be more positive, but i can't promise this. There is no easy fix when you are feeling like this. It takes time, and a little patience, so i hope you will bear with me.

Thanks to everyone who reads this
Emma

Spending ban episode count: 23/118



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems