Skip to main content

Cards, WIP's and prizes!

For some reason i feel the need to, yet again, address the negative aspect of my personality before i get onto the creative side. Although, there is a fine line between depression and creativity in most cases; they appear to go hand in hand with each other, perhaps showing that there is a profound beauty to be found even in the most chaosed mind.

This week's little tidbit about depression is actually slightly more positive than previous posts, as it is about the little things you can do to stave it off. I have had many many days where i literally do nothing but go on the internet or watch television, too mentally exhausted to do anything. This is what depression does to a person; it is a vicious cycle of self loathing. You fail to see the point of doing anything and then feel guilty because you haven't done anything. Well, the other day i was surfing (that's the internet not the sea) when i came across something called no more zero days. The basic premise is that, even if it is the smallest thing that you can do, to make sure you do something towards whatever targets you have during each day. So, for example, if you are trying to save money have a no spending day, or if you are trying to lose weight walk to work instead of driving or taking public transport. For me, it either means crafting or writing, so, even if it is just a sentence, it is still an accomplishment. The worst judge that anyone has is themself, so in doing this every day i am appeasing my inner Simon Cowell (couldn't think of a judge who is more negative in opinions than him)

This week i have been mostly making cards, as i have a fair few birthdays coming up.


The first was made using Fairybelle background which came free with a magazine, then Gorjuss decoupage over the top. I also added a few flowers (am loving the flowers at the moment) and some black beads.


The second has a background made from Tim Holtz patchwork embossing folder, inked with tea stain and faded burlap. I used some stamps from Cardmaking and Papercraft magazine (believe it or not they are christmas ones, but i covered up the bauble she was holding with a second stamp) and coloured them with promarkers. The edging is coloured with rose distress stain, then more flowers (!) and some Bobunny lace at the top and bottom.


The third one is my favourite of these three. I stamped a postcard image, from Madame Payraud, in brown ink then used rose distress to colour it and tea to edge the sides. The background is a Madam Payraud paper which has it's edges inked with faded burlap. I then cut a grungepaper swirly shape (very technical term for it there) in half and used chipped sapphire and peacock feathers to colour it. I added a rose and the letters for happy birthday onto the postcard and then grabbed a couple of plain tea roses, which i inked with chipped sapphire and plum preserves.

I have now finished the first page of the photo stitch, and i have started (just in time for summer) the Bothy threads christmas cupcakes kit.

I have done one of these photo stitches before, but i still marvel at how much like photographs they look. 

One more thing before i sign off this post, i got my prize from Papercraft Inspirations magazine for winning the reader challenge!


Next time there will be more cards (sorry but i have quite a few birthdays coming up) but hopefully some other stuff as well.

Until then, happy crafting!
Emma




Comments

  1. Love all the cards - but my favourite is the Post Card one. I seem to be having a love affair with postcard cards at the moment and so am drawn to them. I really like the one you've made, the colours are so vintage and scrumptious.

    The stitched picture blows my mind. I can't get my brain to accept that the picture I'm looking at isn't a photograph but something you've sewn. You clever thing! I'm impressed big time.

    Finally .. so envious of the amazing win of crafty stuff. I've tried and failed many times to win more stash and haven't been lucky so far. I shall keep trying though, - whilst crossing my fingers, legs, eyes, and toes (basically looking my most attractive, lol), and wishing really hard. That should guarantee a win!

    Have a blessed day, Ems. ~ Cobs. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cobs - and thank you so much for the comment on the previous post, it really did make me smile.

      I think i've been relatively lucky in the short time i've been crafting. I've been in about six magazines, including a Star Letter in Crafts Beautiful. However, i've seen your stuff. You are amazingly talented so send your pics into the letters page of the crafts mags and i bet you will get published! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems